How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28813
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I spoke with you last month about our forms and your help

Customer Question

Hello,I spoke with you last month about our forms and your help was greatly appreciate!
I have since run into 2 questions that if you can answer it would be helpful.My questions are-My technical visa wavier program ends June 19th but we will have our forms sent in at some point next week so what will my legal status be after the 19th?My second question is we plan to move in the next 2 weeks is there any way I can legally sign a rental lease on a house? If so is there any extra form I would have to fill out and give the landlord or how do I go about it?Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Welcome back Giovanni

You will be in an authorized period of stay by the Attorney General. That means you are no longer here in legal status under ESTA but you are allowed to remain in the US while you await a decision on your pending I-130/485.

You have permission to be here and as soon as you get your I-485 receipt in 10-14 days keep a photocopy in your wallet.

You may legally sign a lease but you will not be able to obtain your social security number until you get your work permit which takes 90-120 days. If it is an informal landlord they may not require that and let you sign the lease. If it is a big company they generally run a background/credit check and need a SSN for that.

You can always be added to the lease after the fact when you receive your work permit and can get your SSN.

Let me know what else I can help you with.

Thank you in advance for the positive rating and sorry for the delay.


Related Immigration Law Questions