How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4890
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is in Ghana. We plan to

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is in Ghana. We plan to get married. I am trying to figure out of it is easier to get married ther or get her a K-1 to marry here
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Problem for K-1 is we have not met in person yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Neither option is easy but usually the K-1 is slightly easier but they do have different prices and time frames and requirements.. that may make one better for you. Let me give you the information on both.

Here are the options that you currently have with prices and time frames:

A) K-1 fiance visa takes about 6 to 10 months (right now a little more on the longer side) for the foreign spouse to enter the US after you apply. You would only qualify if you have met once in the last 2 years and have proof of it. You will submit the I-129F to start the process and that will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee at the US embassy. Again, It will take about 6-9 months for the foreigner to get the interview over in Ghana. After she gets approved hopefully, she will enter the U.S., then you have to marry here within 90 days of entering and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485 application after marriage which is for her actual green card. She will be called in for another interview here that you attend with your new spouse in about 5-6 months.

B) If you decide to get married first then she would qualify for the The CR-1 visa. This one takes about 9 months to 1 year before she is allowed into the US after sending the application. To begin You will submit an I-130 for her.The fees are $420 for the I-130 and $400 and $120 for the visa processing fee and for an Affidavit of Support fee. The good thing is that once she is approved and she enters the US, she will already be a permanent resident and doesn't have to apply for the I-485 or for anything else. That means you don't pay the $1070 that I mentioned in option A. She will just receive the green card in the mail a few weeks later.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Related Immigration Law Questions