How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4751
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to apply US citizenship. However, I do not remember

Customer Question

I want to apply for an US citizenship. However, I do not remember the exact many times and dates I was out of the country for the last 10 years. How can I get this information from the american authorities. How long could the application process las and once I start am I allowed to go out from the USA.I am a French citizen who resides in Maryland and lived here for more than 34 years.Also I have sick family members and wonder what will happen if I have to go to France on an emergency basis once I apply. This is the reason so far that I postponed applying. Last concern. Can I apply on my own or should I hire an immigration lawyer. As a lawyer of course you might be biased on this point! But frankly speaking can I do it on my own?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. You only need to know the dates more or less that you were outside the US for the last 5 years. Unfortunately the US would not have this information. You would have to look for your passports and find the dates there.

The application process takes about 5 months.

Yes once you begin the process you can still travel outside the US but have to return for the interview. There's no problem

Yes, even as an attorney I can tell you You can definitely apply on your own unless you think there is any complication in your case, in which case I advise getting an attorney but it does not sound like there is. If you feel more comfortable with someone looking over your documents before you send just to be safe, I can offer you that but I do not think you need an attorney to represent you.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I see that you were able to view my response to you but you did not respond or ask any follow up question. I would like to earn your positive rating as your satisfaction is my #1 goal. Please let me know how else I can help or anything I can clarify for you.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.