How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12192
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does section 212c relief help me ( prior to 1997). I

Customer Question

How does section 212c relief help me (for convictions prior to 1997). I have a conviction and in removal proceedings from the US for a firearms conviction I committed in 1991, (24 months sentence).
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have applied and have been an Alien Resident since 1990, and renewed my Alien Resident card in 2011 without a problem, but when I applied for US citizenship in 2015 I ran into problem, not only did they deny citizenship, but put me in removal proceedings. Also I reside in Miami, FL and the conviction took place in Know County Illinois.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
What is the states basis of denial? Was it the criminal record itself? Or did you fail to mention this conviction at some point in the past?