How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 19479
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is a US citizen but after his divorce because he

Customer Question

My husband is a US citizen but after his divorce because he traveled throughout the week as a consultant and did not establish a home on his own (house or apartment). His mailing address was his employers (a home in conneticut with business office on the first floor). The president retired and the business closed. Until my husband retired he continued to travel on business and visited me (Canadian wife) primarily on visitor visas and has continued to do so. In early March, he had a fall and fractured his hip. Operation at Canadian hospital was fortunately successful but he is getting respite/rehab care which because out of the country is not covered by Medicare so its had to be private pay. He is eligible for Veterans' benefits but application requires a US address. The same appears to be largely true for facilities which could provide a continuation of meals, administration of discretionary pain medication and assistance such as putting on shoes (he can otherwise dress himself and is continent). But needs being regularly (at this stage anyway) checked during the night as he is restless and has bad dreams (war related from things said while asleep) and can be confused/disoriented so it is a potential safety concern if he needs to use the bathroom using a walker. He is 78 and his former family connections are all deceased. His ex wife and daughter live in the US but he has had no contact with either of them since his support obligations ended upon his daughter's graduation from university so there is no one who can be nearby as point person. Meanwhile I can't assist other than by telephone and an occasional visit until my home is sold. The process of applying for landed immigrant status in Canada looks like it could take a year (maybe longer) and there is no certainty that his application would be approved.
Any suggestions or recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Response re answer said Canadian law. Issue is what to do about lack of US domicile. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Since this is an emergency situation, you would need try to contact the ex-wife about assistance with the mailing address. You can use people search web sites to try to locate her and the daughter. You may also use a private investigator to try to locate them. If that fails, you need to contact Veteran's Administration for assistance. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.