Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

My visa status has changed from F1 to H1B. How do I get the

Customer Question

My visa status has changed from F1 to H1B. How do I get the visa stamped in my passport?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please allow me some time to review your question.
Thank you for your patience. As we work through your questions, think about this as a conversation. I will ask you questions until I have the information I need, and then I will provide you with an answer. Don’t worry - it might take some time, but we will get through it together. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you! ANSWER: If you plan to remain in the US, then you do not need to get an H1B visa stamp in your passport unless and until you plan to leave the US and return on H1B status. A change of status gets you a new I-94, which is the evidence of your lawful status. If you do leave the US and want to come back on H1B, you will need an H1B visa stamp. To get that, you need to set up an appointment at the embassy/consulate abroad. You will need to also apply for a non-immigrant visa and pay the fee. You will have an interview for the H1B visa. You will need to provide the approval notice of the H1B petition, along with a copy of the petition that was filed, evidence that you continues to maintain lawful status for all times you were in the US, and an employment letter from the employer saying they continue to intend to employ you in the capacity for which the H1B petition was approved. Now there are specifics for the embassy or consulate you plan to go to to get the visa stamp. So you should consult the website of that consular post to get specifics about what is required, where to pay the fees, etc I hope I have answered your questions. I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge. And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that. Once you have received an answer, please leave a positive rating by choosing on the 3, 4 or 5 stars so I get credit for doing my job. A BONUS is also appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To get that, you need to set up an appointment at the embassy/consulate abroad. You will need to also apply for a non-immigrant visa and pay the fee.>> Please clarify as I did not understand you. I do want to travel outside the US. My status has changed from F1 to H1B. Do I need to apply for non-immigrant visa again?Now there are specifics for the embassy or consulate you plan to go to to get the visa stamp. So you should consult the website of that consular post to get specifics about what is required, where to pay the fees, etc>> I need help with this particularly. Is it true that I can go to Canada or Mexico? I want to avoid going to my home country as I anticipate it may take several months, going by other people's experiences.I'm not a US citizen. My F1 visa has expired but I've never lost status. Do I need Tourist/Visitor visa to go to Mexico or Canada for an appointment with the US embassy? If yes, can a non-citizen apply for Canada/Mexico visa from the US?
QUESTION: >> Please clarify as I did not understand you. I do want to travel outside the US. My status has changed from F1 to H1B. Do I need to apply for non-immigrant visa again? Where do you want to travel? Also, I am not allowed to provide immigration information for Canada or Mexico. This is the US immigration topic area. You need to contact the consulate of Mexico and Canada closest to where you live to find out their requirements for going there as a visitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to travel to my home country but with the visa stamped so that I do not have to take months off from work. I will not get several months off from work anyway.
Can you please be specific? What is your home country?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure. My home country is Bangladesh.