Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My daughter is a US citizen, whole life...she met a German

Customer Question

My daughter is a US citizen, whole life...she met a German exchange student...he moved to Germany from Russian when he was ten. They want to get married in Germany but she thinks they have to wait for over a year, is this true?
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Okay, how do I ask them?
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, didn't know we should
JA: Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My daughter and her fiance have never been married before, she is going to apply for grad school there, but probably not for this coming semester
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS WAS NOT AT ALL WHAT I WAS ASKING ABOUT. MY DAUGHTER IS US CITIZEN, WANTS TO TRAVEL TO GERMANY TO MARRY HER GERMAN FIANCE...WHAT IS INVOLVED AND HOW LONG IS THE WAITING PERIOD...WHAT VISA DOES SHE NEED
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, there was a glitch and what was supposed to go to another customer ended up on your page.

I tried to delete it but that failed.

Here is the information on the US Embassy website on how to marry in Germany

Who may perform marriages abroad?

Only marriages performed at a registrar’s office (“Standesamt”) are legally valid in Germany. A church ceremony may be held later, if desired. Consular officers cannot perform marriages and you do not need to register your marriage with the Embassy or Consulate.

Does marriage affect my citizenship?

If an American citizen marries a German citizen, he or she does not acquire German citizenship, nor does the German citizen acquire US citizenship. If you wish to live in the U.S. after marrying, the American spouse will need to apply for an Immigrant Visa on behalf of the non-American spouse.

Does German or American naming law apply when choosing the family name after marriage?

You may wish to print out our standard letter and take it to the Registrar’s Office.

What documents do I need to get married in Germany?

This depends on what the registrar’s office (“Standesamt”) requires and may vary from case to case. The Standesamt therefore requires that you make an appointment and discuss with them what is required for you.

There are, however, some standard requirements that apply in almost all cases:

• Your birth certificate.
  • It is a German requirement that all documents must have been issued within the last six months; therefore you may have to obtain a new copy of your birth certificate. The Embassy or Consulate cannot obtain documents on your behalf and cannot provide translations of documents. More information about obtaining vital records in the U.S., such as birth certificates, can be found at How to obtain vital records.
  • For U. S. documents to be accepted by the German authorities, they also require that you provide an Apostille.
  • All foreigners marrying in Germany require an “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis” which is a Certificate of Free Status stating that you are legally free to marry. This document may be obtained by making an appointment for a notarial service at the U.S. Embassy in Berlin or at the Consulate General in Frankfurt. The document may also be obtained without an appointment during the operating hours of the Consular Agency in Bremen. Residents of Bavaria may take the oath on this document directly at the Standesamt and do not need to come to the Consulate.

What if I work for the U.S. military in Germany?

Please consult your Pass and ID section for further instructions about getting married in Germany.

https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/marriage/?_ga=1.30317751.983484590.1451780046

You daughter's fiance would have to get an “Ehefähigkeitszeugnis” which is a Certificate of Free Status stating that you are legally free to marry. This document may be obtained by making an appointment for a notarial service at the Russian Embassy in Germany if he is not a German citizen.

I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Here is another very informative website on marrying in Germany

http://www.imcom-europe.army.mil/sfac/documents/Married%20in%20Germany.pdf

http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/marriage.html

Judith

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.
Judith