How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102341
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** came to USA with my husband and

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** came to USA with my husband and daughter with travel visa, but two 7 years boys left at home in Ukraine because they didnot have visa. While been here, we apply for refugee status and give birth to the twins. How we can reunite with our boys and wait together court decisions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about your situation, V. Unfortunately, there is no immediate way that they can come to USA - yet. If you do not have greencard status, then you cannot sponsor your family members. Once you receive greencard status (assuming your asylum application is approved), you can then sponsor your children to come here via Petition for Alien Relative form I-130. (Technically, the boys can apply for visitor visas from Ukraine, but the consular agent will likely reject them since the consular agent would suspect that they would be using the visitor visas simply as passage and would overstay them once here. In other words, you cannot use a travel visa to an instrument to circumvent properly sponsoring someone, and you cannot sponsor someone until/unless you have at least greencard status.) There also exists an option of "humanitarian parole," which allows brief visits to US for medical situations, for example. But unless they are sick, then this is not an option, either. So you simply have to wait until you get greencard status. If you are worried that they are in danger in Ukraine, then they can apply to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), but this can take a long time to process. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions