How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5076
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HelloMy name is ***** ***** and my family are swiss citizen

Customer Question

HelloMy name is ***** ***** and my family are swiss citizen and would like to relocate to the united state
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Glory, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Do you have any idea so far what you will base your relocation on, such as do you have a pending job offer or will you make an investment in the US?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always been a business woman and my husband also, we are going to invest, by a house start my small business and put school in school and taking it one step at a time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jenifer are you there
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information Glory. Yes, I am here. I can tell you the different ways that a person can immigrate to the US. Unfortunately it is not very easy to do it. Give me a few minutes to prepare the answer and I'll be right with you.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Here are the options to immigrate to the US 1. The most common way is through a person's family. This must be through only close relatives that must be US citizens or legal permanent residents who petitions the person. These would be a spouse, parent or child if they are 21 and over, or also through a sibling... If the person has one of those in the US, they can petition for the person to come to the US. It doesn't sound like you have any of those at the moment. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc cannot petition for you. 2. The next way is through a job/employment. You can try for a green card through employment since you are business woman. For a green card it depends on your educational background and experience but most commonly you will need at least a Bachelor's degree. Most importantly you would need a job offer a company that is willing to petition for your green card because it is costly. The company has to pay you the "prevailing wage" for your position and must show that it can afford your wage and has a need for your position. That company has to go through a process which beings with showing the US Dept of Labor that you would not be taking a job away from a US citizen or resident in the US. For this, the less experience and education you have the more difficult and longer this will take and you cannot wait here while you wait. 3. A good option for you if you are Investing in the US is the EB-5 visa for investors. If you can invest at least $500,000 in a company in the US, there is a special green card program available. You would also have to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers through this investment. You can read about it here 4. The next way is applying for asylum.You must prove that if you returned to your home country, you will be persecuted there on account of your religion, race, nationality, religion, or membership in a particular social group. You would have to show that you would be persecuted for the reasons I listed. It has to be something that is happening only to you or a small group and not to the general population. You would have to apply for this within 1 year of entering the US. 5. The last is through the diversity visa/lottery. Depending if you want a visa instead to come for a temporary time there are other options. These will not get you a green card. The most common work visa is the H1B visa. For this, you also need a job offer but it must be for a specialized position in the area where you have your bachelor's degree. The problem is you cannot apply for this until April 2017 and you cannot begin work until October 2017 if you are approved. Another work visa option is the L1. For this, you would have to have a job offer from a company here in the US that you have worked for in their affiliate company in a foreign country at least 1 year in the last 3 years. You don't have to wait for 2017 to apply for this. The company must be sending you to the US as an executive or managerial position or with specialized knowledge. There is also the E-1/E-2 visa to invest but not for a green card. You will need usually at least $150,000 in the US in a business (not a home) to be approved and you can live in the US while you run it but the business must produce more than just to provide for your family. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.