How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4868
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband came here with parents at age 15. He is now 33.

Customer Question

My husband came here with parents at age 15. He is now 33. We have been married 5 years. What forms do I need to file to make him legal in the U S ? Are they all filed at the same time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.First let me ask you, how did your husband enter the US (on a visa, crossed the border illegally)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tourist visa with parents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is form I131 part of the package to send ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Waiting on answer please.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.. Give me a few minutes to prepare your answer that is a bit long and I will send it shortly.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Since you two are married, this is a list of every single thing you will need to submit by mail and then additional things you should take with you to the interview once it is scheduled. Let me know absolutely any doubts you might have after you go through it:FORMS: I-130, I-485, I-864, G-325A (one for each of you), I-765 (optional), I-131 (optional). Throughout the forms, remember you are the PETITIONER and your spouse is the BENEFICIARY. This will help in filling them out. You can find all forms here Read the I-864 carefully and make sure your income qualifies, if not, you need a joint sponsor. Together with the forms you will also send:-Immigration medical exam for your spouse (find a doctor here at passport style photos for you, 8 for your spouse (2 photos each for I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765 the ones for I-131 and I-765 you only send if you send those applications)-Check or money orders $1070 and $420 ($1490 total) made to DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY-Copy of Marriage Certificate-Copy of your US passport biographical page (in the alternative, copy of your US birth certificate or naturalization certificate)-Copy of your spouse's passport biographical page-Copy of your spouse's I-94-Copy of your spouse's birth certificate with certified translation if needed-Documents proving that your marriage is bona fide such as: Joint lease agreement, joint bank accounts, joint income tax filing, joint credit cards, joint bills, joint car insurance, joint health insurance, drivers license - change address, many pictures from wedding and other events alone and with family.AND - Your last tax returns and W-2 Make a copy of your whole packet for yourself. Mail the original to:USCISPO Box 805887Chicago, IL###-##-####This is the address if you want to do Express mailing:USCISAttn: FBAS131 South Dearborn - 3rd FloorChicago, IL###-##-####Once you file all these documents, you will receive a receipt notice in the mail for each of the applications in 2-3 weeks. After that in about 4 weeks your spouse will receive an appointment to have biometrics (fingerprints) taken at the local USCIS office. Your Spouse should then receive a work permit and travel permit in about 3-4 months, if you sent those applications in also. Your spouse should not travel outside the US until receiving this travel permit or the whole process will be considered abandoned. If he doesn't submit the I-131, travel permit, it's fine. He can travel once he receives the green card. He can get a driver's license once he has the work permit. Your spouse will later receive an interview notice to attend the USCIS/immigration interview in about 4-5 months and then you must both attend the interview.As far as documents related to the marriage, send in whatever you have by mail at the time that you apply but don't worry if you don't have too much. You can take updated documents to the interview such as newer/more bank statements, updated joint bills, updated lease if it's a new one, updated tax return if you have filed a new one by the time of interview, and an album with many pictures from different times in relationship.To the interview you will also take the originals of all certificates (marriage, birth, divorce) and passports. If all goes well, spouse will be approved that day and will receive green card in about 2 weeks! I know immigration issues/documents sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review before you send, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind.Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line. -------------------

Related Immigration Law Questions