Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Sir/Madam, I am on an E3 Australian temporary worker's Visa.

Customer Question
Hi Sir/Madam, I am on...
Hi Sir/Madam, I am on an E3 Australian temporary worker's Visa. I had a medical emergency and got hit with a very substantial bill that is beyond my capacity to pay. I intend to enter a payment plan but if I were to stop making payments and return to my country of origin - and those debts were then passed on to collections - what is the likelihood of being preventing entry on an ESTA or tourist visa at USA port of entry in the future? I should add that I provided my passport details as ID during my hospital stay - would this be covered by hippo laws or could these be passed on to collections? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
5/3/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James. I will be assisting you. Please give me a moment to review your question.
ANSWER: Unfortunately, yes, this can have a negative impact on your eligibility for a visitor status in the future. Why? Because one of the considerations is whether you might become a public charge of the United States. Evidence of this can be and has been failure to pay debts for medical bills. This is usually in cases where a person has taken advantage of public benefits like medicaid, or healthcare provided by a government entity like a public hospital. As far as the likelihood of this causing an issue, that is something I cannot predict. All I can say is that it has happened in the past, and will continue to happen. Whether it happens in every case or your specific case is something nobody can predict, unfortunately. I hope I have answered your questions. If you want a 30 minute phone call to discuss this or anything else, let me know. I can send you an offer for that. I do not get a salary here, so your positive customer service (not outcome) rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you! ***** is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer