How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5231
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a female sex offender engaged to a man from Brazil. I

Customer Question

I'm a female sex offender engaged to a man from Brazil. I understand it will be difficult for me to file for a k1 visa. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. What exact offense were you convicted of and when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a plea bargin back in 2006 for criminal sexual misconduct 3rd degree. I since won my civil case (since the family of the foster child decidea to sue me) and won one appeal on the grounds of ineffective counsel. But I didn't win the opportunity to go back to trial.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry about the delay. Your question was not coming up on my list again for some reason.Yes, unfortunately it will be difficult but not impossible. The reason it is so difficult is because the Adam Walsh Act does not allow a US citizen to file any family based petition or K-1 visa for a spouse or fiance if the US citizen has been convicted of any “specified offense against a minor.” One example of those offenses are sex offenses against a minor. In order to be able to successfully petition your fiance, you will have to prove that you do not pose "any risk to the safety and well-being" of your fiance. USCIS will consider your criminal history in total together with how severe your offense was, when it was, rehabilitation, etc. The more support you can give in your favor the better. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.