How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good evening. I have a B1/B2 visa , I've being visiting my

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a B1/B2 visa , I've being visiting my boyfriend staying in the USA over periods of 3.5 months during the last year. Last Thursday when I got here and immigration said i could only stay for a month and don't come back to the USA for 6 months. They wrote on my pasport NO EOS, COS, AOS. We were planing on getting married in July, but want to move it to May for this reason. Do you think we will have problems with my visa even if i go back to Guatemala and my husband asks for a visa to bring me back? Or is it better to go back and ask for a fiance visa instead? Thank you so much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think we will have problems if we get married now? Thank you
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
The problem with getting married on a B1/B2 visa is this- it is a nonimmigration visa, and is designed for temporary stays in the US. If a person gets married while in the US on such a visa, the officials may surmise that one intended to get married when they came to the US. Examples of this would include bringing one's birth certificate, applying for a marriage license, etc.When the visa is issued, it is based on circumstances as they existed at the time of the application. So if one returns on that visa, and can show strong ties to their home country (ie job/school; lease/own a home, etc) then they may assume that one is utilizing the visa strictly for the purpose intended (travel) and will allow the visit; otherwise, they may cancel the visa and note the violation in the immigration record.While one can get married while on a B1/B2 visa, the fiance petition is common- please see the steps for the various manner in which a citizen may marry an immigrant here: Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Link to bar associations immigration attorney referral page here: Kindly rate positively for my assistance. Thank you.

Related Immigration Law Questions