How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4853
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a German citizen, married to an US citizen years,

Customer Question

I am a German citizen, married to an US citizen for 11 years, and we have three children together (born in the US, all three of which have dual citizenship). I am a permanent resident and am about to submit Form n-400 for naturalization. I have obtained permission from the German government to retain my German citizenship while applying for US citizenship. However, I do have a few questions about my current situation:
1. I have been employed by the same US employer for 12 years, but my employment is coming to an end May 29. I would have, by then, submitted form n-400 already, listing this employer as the only employer ("to present"). While the process for naturalization is going on, I will no longer be employed by said employer. Is this going to be a problem?
2. I have been offered a job in Germany, which can hire me as of June 1 if I so desire, and I can receive compensation as of my hiring date from Germany. I wouldn't have to relocate to Germany until the naturalization process has been completed, but I wanted to make sure that I can legally receive salary from Germany while the naturalization process in the US continues. Is that something I can do?
3. Since my employment ends on May 29, we are forced to relocate from the West Coast to the East Coast (closer to our US family). Can I start the naturalization process, say in Las Vegas, NV, and complete it in Richmond, VA? If not, can I start it in Las Vegas, move to Virginia, and travel back to Las Vegas for completion, even if I no longer have residence in Las Vegas?
4. Which immigration center would expedite my application: Las Vegas or Richmond? Are there any circumstances that the process can be expedited? For example, with passports, there is a service to pay for express processing in order to get the passports faster. Is there any such service when it comes to naturalization, or is the process always approximately six months?
Thank you so much for your help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
1. No that will not be a problem at all. The answers on the application only need to be true as of the day that you submit the application. Once you go to the interview you can let the officer know that the employer you listed last on the application is no longer your employer. 2. Yes you can. There is no law that prevents you from receiving a salary from another country as a permanent resident or as a citizen. 3. No, that you cannot do. You must apply and complete citizenship in the state that you have been living for at least 3 months prior to applying and are still currently living in. Otherwise you would have to wait until you are living in Virginia for 3 months. You can read about it here. You can request expedited processing but that is usually approved only in special circumstances and your case and reasons will be looked at to decide if it can be sent in the expedited route. Examples of some reasons are listed here: apply write a cover letter with your application and include the reasons and write the words "EXPEDITE REQUEST" in large letters at the very top of the letter. Without any of those reasons, it is very unlikely to be expedited and it is taking about 4-5 months right now. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my last answer to you but did not reply or leave a rating. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions that I can help you with to earn your positive rating.

Related Immigration Law Questions