How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4865
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Pearl JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I need some help with my situation
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been charged in Illinois with possession of 30-500 gms in the mail
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: of marijuana
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. What is your specific question regarding this charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I am an international student finishing my senior year and will be graduating from college with a Computer Science degree at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), recently I did something really stupid and that was to have an individual in California ship me marijuana in the mail. The package was intercepted by the state police and turns out there was 2 ounces (56 grams) in there, which resulted in me getting a felony charge for possession of marijuana. This is a very serious offense and really any kind of marijuana possession charge will affect my visa status for the future from what I have read. I have a job offer in California which is supposed to begin in Mid-July and it is very well paying job as a software engineer ($100k a year). My parents have invested close to a quarter of a million dollars on me and I also have student loans from a bank and I need to find the best solution that I can regarding this. I am extremely stressed out and have not been able to eat or sleep properly in the days that I have received this news. What should I do? What could I do to get the best outcome? Should I deny the charges completely and try to have it dropped or something like that? Please help me.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this, but I am afraid I don't have great news for you but you do have some options. Right now your best route at this point is definitely to get the best criminal attorney possible and try to have these charges vacated if you were already convicted. They would need to do it as soon as possible. If you have not yet been convicted then try to have the attorney enter into an agreement where the charges will be dismissed or reduced significantly to something unrelated to possession of drugs. That is the only way 100% that this will not affect your future visas. Otherwise if this conviction remains, you will be inadmissible to the US. This means that you will need to apply for a waiver to be able to get a new nonimmigrant visa. The waiver would then have to be approved. The visa you would need at that point is the INA 212(d)(3). hope this at least helps guide you. Hopefully you can understand that I don't make the laws and I cannot change them. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my last answer to you but did not reply or leave a rating. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions that I can help you with to earn your positive rating.

Related Immigration Law Questions