Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My husband got his green card in 1988, greencard issued then

Customer Question
don't have expiration dates. He...
My husband got his green card in 1988, greencard issued then don't have expiration dates. He had a run in with the law in 2005 in Atlanta for a felony case that was later expunged.He was pulled over in in Philadelphia recently a month ago for a traffic stop that brought forth this old felony 2001 case like a flag. Also again the case was dismissed due to lack of evidence and the statue of limitations past on the case as of April 19th 2016. The judge signed the dismissal of the case. He was meant to be released but we were told that immigration has a 48hr hold on him. I'm a Us citizen and we are married with 3 kids 20 yr old, 12yr old and an 8yr. He got his papers back them through his dad who was a citizen and has filed for him.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Is that ok? My name is Eni
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/21/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay as I may also be assisting other customers at the same time and I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.
Sorry for the delay. What were the charges in 2005? And the charges were dismissed?
I'd like to help, but I need more information from you. You are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer, so it costs you nothing to respond to me. You say he had something in 2005 and also 2001. Was that an error? Before the case or cases were expunged, were the charges dismisses? What were the charges? Was the a sentence, even a suspended sentence? For how long? All of this is important for me to be able to help you. Please respond. Thank you.
I really don't understand why you come here for help and then you don't respond to my requests for information which don't cost you anything additional. That he had a felony case that was expunged is not helpful. The government can always see the issue even if the case is expunged and it can still count against him. Since you are not willing to tell me what he got arrested for, it is difficult for me to help. IF he was convicted of something serious enough, it could cause his deportation. If that is the case, then he has these options: 1) Get a full and unconditional governor's or U.S. Presidential pardon. 2) Hire a VERY good criminal attorney to look into the possibility of reopening his criminal case because something was done incorrectly at the criminal level. If the case can be reopened, then the conviction needs to be vacated (set aside) and then he would need an agreement from the prosecutor not to prosecute him again (which they can do). You can try looking for an attorney at www.ailalawyer.com. 3) Convince the majority of the U.S. Congress to change the law or to make a law of special application only for him called a Private Bill. These options essentially would eliminate the conviction so that Immigration cannot use it against him to deport him. Unfortunately, sealing or expunging the conviction does not work.4) IF he became a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident while inside the U.S. AND he has a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident spouse or son or daughter that would suffer EXTREME HARDSHIP if he is deported, then he MIGHT stand a chance to not be deported and get Residency again. Unless you tell me more about his situation, there isn't much more that I can tell you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.