How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102191
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been in a serious relationship with a Syrian

Customer Question

I've been in a serious relationship with a Syrian Kurd for several years. He currently has refugee status in UK (since 2.5 years ago). If we get married, we would like to live in the USA (I'm an American Citizen). Before asking him to uproot and move across the ocean with me, I would like to bring him over for a short visit to meet my family, let him see the country, etc. As a refugee, he obviously has very little in the way of 'ties' to the UK. What would be the best way to go about getting a tourist visa for him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and they may agree to the call. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost. I am going to be honest with you. He is very unlikely to be granted a B2 (tourist) visa, for two reasons. 1) Tourist visas mandate that the person not have immigration intent. This is called dual intent. See HERE. If he plans to marry you and eventually come over, the strong presumption is that he would have immigration intent. Because of this, the visa may be denied.2) Second and more improvidently, B2 applicants have to show that they would not overstay their visa. The way they do so is by showing that they have ties to the home country, which includes but is not limited to: ***** ***** employment, bank account and money in it, social ties, etc. By virtue of him being a refugee, he is very unlikely to be seen as having concrete ties to the UK and thus cannot likely get a B2 visa (rather, he would be denied). It would be much easier for you to go to the UK to meet him, or for you to be fianced (which would allow him to travel to the USA on a K1 visa but (a) would require you to marry him shortly thereafter and (b) would generally require the two of you to have met before). Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions