How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4731
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I discovered that a student immigrant has taken advantage of

Customer Question

I discovered that a student immigrant has taken advantage of my daughter's citizenship status to obtain marriage license, what can I do as a mother?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.
I'm very sorry to hear this is happening. Can you give me more details on what exactly has happened so that I'll be able to better guide you and give you options. How has the student taken advantage? How do you know he is taking advantage? How old is your daughter?
You are not charged anything additional for answering my questions or for spending more time back and forth. It's the same fee. Ill wait for your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The are both an adult, at college levels, but the fact remains that marriage license was the first to be contracted before ever knowing the parent or ever being recognized by family. Now that the family is involved, every african traditional conditions is being refuted by him, now that he probably has the green card; because license was issued since july 2015. My daughter is 23, while he is 30. We, family just knew under 24hrs ago. Also my name and my husband's name were all in the license without our knowledge. He might actually elope any moment to another state since he probably has document through paper marriage with my daughter that is a citizen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if this can be voided, moreso his status as student immigrant will soon end when he finishes/graduate in May 2016.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry. I am not going to have very good news for you about this. I hope you can understand that I don't make the law and I can't change it. Hopefully you can rate me based on my service to you and not whether the news is good or bad.Unfortunately, since your daughter is an adult and of legal marrying age, the marriage is not voidable simply because they wrote you and your husband's name on the license. Every license requires parents' name so every person that gets married must write their parents' names. It is not illegal to do that. If your daughter believes that her new husband has entered into marriage with her only to get an immigration benefit from her, she is usually the one that would have to notify ICE or USCIS (immigration) to start an investigation for the possibility of getting his green card revoked (if he already has one). If she did want to contact them it would be Homeland Security Investigations that she has to contact. Here are the list of the offices in the US. It's best to contact the office nearest to her You can try to contact them as well, but as I said usually the US citizen spouse is the one that has to do it. Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.. I see that you were able to view my answer and I am just checking in to make sure if there anything else I can clarify for you. I'm sorry it was not good news, but I hope you can understand that I must be honest with you and not just tell you what you want to hear. Hope to have earned your positive rating anyway. We do not earn a salary on this website so the only way we receive any credit at all for our time spent with you is through your rating by choosing the stars or happy faces. Thanks in advance.

Related Immigration Law Questions