Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have been US resident since 12/18/07. I am interested

Customer Question
Hello, I have been US resident...
I have been US resident since 12/18/07. I am interested in applying for my naturalization but I have few concerns that I would like to get an answers if possible please.
I had two arrests, both misdemeanors and fourth degree theft.
Here are the dates and the outcomes of the arrests: 1st date of is 3/29/2011 which case dismissed and the second was 4/13/12 with court probation then dismissed.
Are these going to have big affects on my application? How high is my chance of getting deny if any please? I am thinking about applying the end of this month.
Second concern is that I am an MBA student of Chaminade University of Honolulu and I have my family home(main residence) still in Honolulu. The last two years, I have been working for the government of American Samoa (US territory) as a tax auditor....Is this consider as "outside US" should I list this under the trips that I took? I am working on my MBA from Chaminade University at the same time but I am doing this job to pay for my school.
Please Your answer will be appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
4/18/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. The probation from the second issue, when did you finish that probation? What was the date? And the job as a tax auditor, where were you physically located?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello and thanks for the response ...probation is done 8/11/2011
And the job as a tax auditor, where were you physically located?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
american samoa
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but I traveled back and forth to home (hawaii)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as i said I needed to do this in order to pay for school online fro Chaminade University of honolulu
Where were you born?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
madagascar
Ok. Take a look at page 19: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/M-476.pdf According to this, any time spent residing in American Samoa counts as time you resided in a State of the U.S. However, to have the best chance of success when you apply, you should wait a full 5 years after the probation was done in the last case. So do not apply until 08/11/2016. Also, you will need to submit CERTIFIED copies of both the police report and court dispositions on all criminal cases. This is to prove how each one was terminated. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, ***** ***** good school records and work history counts as good moral character please?
You don't get extra points for doing that you are supposed to do. They want to see 5 years with no issues, at least. If you don't mind risking $680 to apply now, you can, but if denied, you will need to apply again later. It's only 4 months away. Be patient. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I really need to apply now cause of my career ...Do you think that I might have chance in obtaining the US citizenship or no please?
You can't wait four months?! If you apply now, it's still going to take 5 to 7 months or more to get U.S. Citizenship.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oops actually I meant 08/11/2012 on the probation ended
Then you are going to risk $680 on a denial if you apply before 08/11/2017. If you have to, you have to. To give you the best chance before 08/11/2017 (and it still is not a good chance), you should submit good moral character letters from friends, family, co-workers, bosses, neighbors, etc. where each writes their own letter stating who they are, how long they have known you, how they know you, and that you have good moral character and to give the reasons why they believe you have good moral character. The more detail, the better. The people you ask to write the letters do not have to know about any issues in your background. Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I cannot discuss pricing on an open forum, but if you accept, you will see I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello thanks again for your help and responses but I have more questions please? So do you think I will need to file form N-470 as being here in American Samoa or no? Can this cause any complication in my application please?I have read the link you gave me from one of your response and I want to know which one of these examples can a misdeaminor (shoplifting) falls into? Do you think that reference letter from boss, family and friends might help my case as I really need this citizenship for work please? thanks again for the help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Examples of Things That Might Demonstrate a Lack of Good Moral Character
• Any crime against a person with intent to harm.
• Any crime against property or the Government that involves “fraud” or evil intent.
• Two or more crimes for which the aggregate sentence was 5 years or more.
• Violating any controlled substance law of the United States, any State, or any foreign country.
• Habitual drunkenness.
• Illegal gambling.
• Prostitution.
• Polygamy (marriage to more than one person at the same time).
• Lying to gain immigration benefits.
• Failing to pay court-ordered child support or alimony payments.
• Confinement in jail, prison, or similar institution for which the total confinement was 180 days or more during the past 5 years (or 3 years if you are applying based on your marriage to a United States citizen).
• Failing to complete any probation, parole, or suspended sentence before you apply for naturalization.
• Terrorist acts.
• Persecution of anyone because of race, religion, national origin, political opinion, or social group.OOps here is the lists for the examples of good moral character (from the link you gave me)
No, the N-470 is not needed and would not apply. And yes, the good moral character letters can help if you cannot wait to apply. No guarantees, but they can and do help. Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. Talk about unfair! So I hope you leave that positive rating. Your question does NOT close if you forgot to ask something. You aren't charged again if you respond on the same thread. If you don't see the stars by my name, just let me know. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello Anita. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.