Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am on H1B working in San Antonio Texas. My girl friend is

Customer Question

I am on H1B working in San Antonio Texas. My girl friend is doing her MS in Germany . She came here to visit me in B2 visa . As we both couldn't go to India to get married due to some personal issues , we want to go for a civil marriage here . Is it possible ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. And you want her to then change status to H-4?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I just want to get married . She will fly back to Germany to continue her studies
Ok. Here is a link to a website that I like to use: http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/marriage-license/texas/county-clerks/office-requirements.shtml If for some reason she is missing something that she needs, it would also be ok to marry in a different state. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She do not have SSN. Just thinking is it fine if I just alone have the SSN?
Ok, here is the official link: https://gov.propertyinfo.com/tx-bexar/Marriage.aspx You will notice it requires an SSN if applicable. In her case it will not be applicable, so she should be ok. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After having the marriage certificate , is it mandatory to have a wedding ceremony or can we just take the marriage certificate and use?
The license has a 90 day validity. You cannot just get the licence and do nothing else. You have to have a wedding ceremony. Here is the link to the official document: https://gov.propertyinfo.com/tx-bexar/forms/InstructionsMarriageApp.pdf Look at #7. Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. Talk about unfair! So I hope you leave that positive rating. Your question does NOT close if you forgot to ask something. You aren't charged again if you respond on the same thread. If you don't see the stars by my name, just let me know. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We both are not Christians , in this case , can we have the wedding ceremony at a church?
The Texas government does not care as long as a wedding ceremony is performed by someone authorized to do so by the state. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you.
Hello Shakeer. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.