How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108665
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question I'm entering the us on a b1b2 visa

Customer Question

Hello I have a question I'm entering the us on a b1b2 visa and would like to volunteer at an ngo for 4 months . Is it allowed? I won't receive any compensation
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have been in the US for j1 one year, f1 4 years finished my bachelors and now I would like to get some work experience at an NGO I can volunteer intern for them 14 weeks . I was wondering if it's unpaid and at a non for profit I can enter with my b1b2
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked for j1 eligibility but the company is not for profit so they said they can sponsor a j1. I looked online and for all the information it says that it is an NGO and I won't be benefiting the company this will be allowed. I'm planning to enter on b1b2 and volunteer for 4 months. No compensation , no money will be taken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Out of curiosity, is your J-1 subject to 212(e)? Also, would this internship be available to anyone else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J1 in 2008 was not subject to 212e
F1 2009-2015 finished bachelor and left the Usa
Now im in France (French Student visa) pursuing my masters
For profesional purposes i Want to do a 14 week long internship at a NGO. Unpaid , no reimbursement
I will enter the us on my B1/b2 visa
I can't apply for J1 since its unpaid and NGO can't sponsor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The NGO asks for 3-4 volunteers intern for the summer . I will be one of them and I can use the volunteer experience as college credit in my university in France
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So if it is available to others, it could be a problem. Why? Because you could take an opportunity away from a U.S. worker/student that could also make use of it. I would take a look at this link: If your activity falls into that chart, then do it while on the B-1/B-2. If it does not fall into that chart, then you may need to do an F-1 or M-1 instead just to be covered. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions