How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3956
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to fix this?A child was born in Mexico, to permanent

Customer Question

How to fix this?
A child was born in Mexico, to permanent resident parents.
They then took the child to the U.S. at 4 months old. The whole family was waved through the Tijuana border.
The child is now 14 years old.
The mother has recently become a U.S. citizen.
How does the child obtain permanent residency?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. The mother will have to submit an I-130 for the child. Once it is approved in a few months, the child will have to go to Mexico for consular processing to an interview there and get an immigrant visa and come back in as a permanent resident. Usually if a person goes outside the US after being here so long without legal status, then they would be facing a bar to return to the US for all the time they spent in the US unlawfully. However, since the child is under 18, they would not have this problem because people under 18 do not accumulate unlawful physical presence. So the child should not have a problem returning to the US. Also the good thing is that once the child enters the us as a permanent resident, they would automatically be a US citizen because the mom is a US citizen. You can find the application I-130 at and its cost is $420Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal. Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost . Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my response to you a few days ago but did not reply. I wanted to know if there were any additional clarifications that I can help you with. Please note that Your satisfaction is my goal and hopefully I can earn your positive rating. Us experts on this site do not earn a salary, we only receive credit if you leave a positive rating. Thanks for your consideration.

Related Immigration Law Questions