How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Could you please help me with this issue? A woman filed an

Customer Question

Could you please help me with this issue? A woman filed an I-130 for her kids in Pakistan. All the kids are married. They have heard back and gotten the approval letter and the case number, but nothing after that. I need to find out how long it usually takes for children of a citizen if the children are married with kids. Also, does it matter that she applied for them and they are in Pakistan? Can you please find out what course of action can be taken if it has been past 11 years, and 4 months? Is there something an attorney can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Is the woman a greencard holder or a US Citizen? Was she a greencard holder at the time that she filed the I-130? What year did she file? What year did she become a US Citizen? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The woman is a US citizen, and was a US citizen at the time that she filed the I-130 in 2010. She became a US citizen in 2010.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. 1) Are you familiar with the categories that USCIS uses to prioritize such petitions (F1, F2, F3, etc)?2) Has USCIS sent you notice that the file is in administrative processing?3) You say that it has been "11 years, and 4 months." But you say that she filed in 2010. Can you please clarify the discrepancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Yes.2) Yes.3) I'm sorry I was confused. The correction is 6 years, and 4 months.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. 1) For the latest visa bulletin, see HERE.2) Her married child is in the F3 category. THe F3 category is currently on Nov 2004. The average time for an F3 category is 12 years. If it has been 6 years, then she likely has to wait 6 more years until the visas are ready.3) If she has received a notice of special administrative processing, this may extend the visas longer (normally a few months). Administrative processing normally means further security review. 4) If it has goes past 12 years and a few months (for administrative review), the claimant can file in court to ask the court to order USCIS to process the application and give an answer. However it is too early for this if it has been 6 years only - an F3 application can take up to 12. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are children of the son/daughter of a US citizen eligible to immigrate with the son/daughter of a US citizen. Is there an age limit on that before they are cut off and cannot immigrate with the son/daughter of a US citizen?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
A child is anyone under 21 and not married. If so, then they would still qualify under the parents' visa. Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!