Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a question about travelling to the United States.

Customer Question
Hi, I have a question...
Hi, I have a question about travelling to the United States. When I was 19, I was caught shoplifting and charged with theft under $5000. However, I was granted diversion and received no conviction or criminal record (I have since passed several background checks and a police check). My question is am I in any danger of not being allowed into the United States because I was arrested and charged? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/29/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are asking if you would have a problem entering with just your Canadian passport?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just my passport

Ok. And out of which location will you leave Canada and which location would you be entering the U.S.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would most likely cross over through Windsor and into Detroit

Ok. For a Canadian to use just their passport, you shouldn't have any issue in your background. You should apply for a B-2 tourist visa Whether you apply for a B-2 tourist visa or try just using your Canadian passport, I would carry with you CERTIFIED copies of the police report and court disposition to show that you do not have a conviction and that you are not inadmissible to the U.S. What I would do to be safest if you do not want to apply for a B-2 tourist visa is get those certified copies and when you travel, go through a pre-clearance in Canada. Here is a link:

http://www.cbp.gov/border-security/ports-entry/operations/preclearance

This way, you know beforehand if you will get in or not.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Jordan. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.