Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am a foreign born US Citzen that went through the legal

Customer Question
I am a foreign born...
I am a foreign born US
Citzen that went through the legal process of naturalization. My fiancee has a previous overstay violation and has again entered the US illegal. If we were to get married, how difficult will be for him to get a green card, or would it even be possible given his current illegal status and previous overstay violation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/29/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 year ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

If you were to get married, you could petition him with the I-130 (first part of green card) and get the process started but once that is approved, he will need to get an I-601 waiver and depart the US temporarily to get the actual green card. He could only get it if the waiver is approved. There is no guarantee that the waiver would be approved or that he would be allowed back in the US. It would be a risk to take so he would have to decide if it is worth the risk. But yes, there is a chance he can get his green card in short.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Hello again..

I am just checking in with you. I see that you were able to read my answer to you and I am wondering if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating and you can come back to the website to issue the rating. We only receive credit when you issue a positive rating. Thanks for your consideration of our work.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney