How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4744
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My now ex-husband and I filed immigration into the US. I was

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. My now ex-husband and I filed for his immigration into the US. I was the petitioner and he the beneficiary. We are waiting for our divorce to become final. I no longer wish to sponsor him. We have not gone to our interview yet. What should I do?
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I just spoke to our lawyer today but he can no longer help as we now have differing interests
JA: Is there anything else the Immigration Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: He and I were married for about a year. Filed for divorce in February 2016. No chance of reconciliation and I will no longer be petitioning for him nor maintaining my Affidavit of Support
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. If he is not a permanent resident yet then you can send a letter to the USCIS office that is processing his I-485 and I-130. It should appear on the receipt notice. In the letter, let USCIS know that you are divorcing and you wish to withdraw your petition. Attach a copy of the receipt notice for the I-130 and I-485 or at least include the case number ***** you don't have the receipts.

In addition, if you have not heard back by the date of the interview, go to the interview that day and let the officer know that you are divorcing and you would like to withdraw your petition and affidavit of support. Take a copy of the letter you sent. This is going to be the best and most efficient way to make sure that USCIS is aware of the situation.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again..

I am just checking in with you. I see that you were able to read my answer to you and I am wondering if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating and you can come back to the website to issue the rating. We only receive credit when you issue a positive rating.

Thanks for your consideration of our work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,I understand. However our interview is scheduled for tomorrow and I am definitely unable to go. Should I have rescheduled even though I plan on withdrawing? I was told he could not go by himself. I will send the letter, but what should I do about the interview?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there..

I would be happy to answer the these questions for you but i do want to confirm first that you understand how the website rating works: Once an expert gives you a satisfactory answer, then a rating should be issued. You can continue to answer follow up questions to clarify anything even after rating. There's no additional cost for that. Is that your understanding?

Related Immigration Law Questions