How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108670
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We came to the USA over two years ago, my husband as the E2

Customer Question

We came to the USA over two years ago, my husband as the E2 Visa holder, and myself as the spouse, We have 3 dependents, age 6,8 and 20. My 20 year old is a straight A student in his second year of community college. We fear the only way he can stay in the USA after he is 21 is to apply in his own right for a change of status and acquire his own F1 Visa. Having an F1 Visa, means he will be an out of state student, and we do not think we could afford to pay his student fees which will be high. Is there a solution? Would there be anyway of him having a student loan to pay his fees as a non resident alien? He has a very settled life in the USA and hates the thought of returning to the UK, so we need to explore every avenue for him. Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

That's a tough situation. There are a few options:

1) If you and your spouse had the foresight to have a company outside of the U.S. for a least 1 year out of the last 3 years, you could apply for a green card for the entire family. Here is a link to the EB-1C:

The EB-5 is another possibility, but your investment has to reach $1,000,000 or more and create 10 jobs for U.S. workers at least. The investment amount could be $500,000 or more, but it would have to be in a rural or high unemployment area as designated by the U.S. government.

2) If he is paying X amount for tuition while on a E2, that should not change just because he changes to F-1. So verity that with the school.

3) Change schools.

4) Yes, there are plenty of scholarships and loans for deserving students. Many are only for U.S. Citizens or U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, but many are open to any deserving students. You should discuss this with financial aid at his current school and any other schools he may desire to transfer to.

I have to log off for a bit, but I will be back in an hour or so. Sorry for any delay in responding.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions