How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a friend who's boyfriend is from England and wants to

Customer Question

Have a friend who's boyfriend is from England and wants to apply to stay in the US. what is the process?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

He has several options, of which marriage to your friend is best one. There are several different ways to come to USA, and of course they may arbitrarily be divided into:

1) Visa lottery
2) Education (mostly non-immigrant but hold strong possibilities for receiving a greencard based off job offer post-graduation in specific fields)
3) Employment
4) Marriage
5) Asylum

The visa lottery is a program where individuals are randomly picked by USCIS. The chances of winning this "greencard lottery" (as it is known) are slim.

Education allows an individual to come and study in the USA for a period of time, and sometimes, the individual may be able to receive employment by a US sponsor employer, although there are no guarantees.

Employment is generally considered a painstaking process and unless you have a technical degree or medical degree - along with a job offer - there is really little possibility of actually getting a visa based on employment. The bar is set very high.

Marriage is the "easiest" assuming that the marriage itself is genuine. USCIS will review the petition for bona fide relationship. See HERE on how to file.

Asylum is complicated but if he lives in the UK, then this is unlikely to be granted.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!