How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28813
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was filing out a Form N-400, Natrualization Form, and on

Customer Question

Good Afternoon. I was filing out a Form N-400, Natrualization Form, and on page 5, it states,"If your biological or legally adoptive mother or father is a U.S. citizen by birth, or naturalized before you reached your 18th birthday, you may already be a citizen". My mom became a citizen in 1996, when I was 14 years old (but I was still living in Guatemala at the time). I came over to the U.S. in 1998. Does her becoming a citizen in this timeframe automatically make me a citizen?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

To have your mother transmit her US citizenship to you you must meet the following:

1. Be a US permanent resident residing in the US.

2. If only one parent has naturalizd they must have had legal custody of you,

3. You must be under the age of 18 when your custodial parent naturalizes..

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Related Immigration Law Questions