Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I was filing out a Form N-400, Natrualization Form, and on

Customer Question
Good Afternoon. I was filing...
Good Afternoon. I was filing out a Form N-400, Natrualization Form, and on page 5, it states,"If your biological or legally adoptive mother or father is a U.S. citizen by birth, or naturalized before you reached your 18th birthday, you may already be a citizen". My mom became a citizen in 1996, when I was 14 years old (but I was still living in Guatemala at the time). I came over to the U.S. in 1998. Does her becoming a citizen in this timeframe automatically make me a citizen?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/20/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

To have your mother transmit her US citizenship to you you must meet the following:

1. Be a US permanent resident residing in the US.

2. If only one parent has naturalizd they must have had legal custody of you,

3. You must be under the age of 18 when your custodial parent naturalizes..

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer