How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109301
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please give me advice what to do. I have a political asylum

Customer Question

Hello ,please give me advice what to do.
I have a political asylum status granted in 2007 and I obtained a GC based on this status ,also I have a US Re-Entry Permit valid .
**** My Stiory *******************
I have almost a year trying to meet up with my family, once in three years, I flew to Ukraine but for the last time Ukraine imposed restrictions on the issuance of visas for citizens of Russia (in my travel document it says that I am a citizen of Russia). When I applied first time for visa a it was denied , A four months later I applied again, and again it was denied.A month ago, I decided to apply for a Belarusian visa,closest country to Russia and Ukraine , and again denied a visa, for the reason that I have to provide them with the paper that I gave up my Russian citizenship, and I will not have a visa if I have a Russian citizenship, Because visa for Russians visa to Belarus is not necessary: ​​(((.My national passport is already expired in 2007
Can I RENEW my National Passport ,and fly to Belarus (not Russia) to meet my parents and what kind of problems I can have on arrival back in the USA,thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You received Asylum from the U.S. because you would be persecuted in Russia?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot get a visa to travel passport,my father is sick and he cannot travel too other countries to meet me,that's why for is going to be easier to renew my national passport and travel ,but I'm afraid of the consequences that can lead me to a loss of status
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father lives close to Ukraine,but Ukraine is closed now for Russians due to political situation ,I just have to know if I can renew my passport to make everything easier for me ,my family and friends
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Then unfortunately, the answer is no, you cannot apply for a Russian passport. Not so much because of Russian law (of which I am not familiar), but because of U.S. law. By availing yourself of the benefits of Russian citizenship, even now being a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, you could cause USCIS/ICE to reopen your case to see if either you obtained Asylum through fraud or if you are now safe to return to Russia. So I would not apply for a Russian passport. Howe long have you been an LPR?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a LPR for 7 years
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Why haven't you applied for U.S. Citizenship?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because of my two arrests ,one Disorderly Conduct on 2012 and one 2013 Service thief (ordered cab from the night club ,but debit card was over spending limits,and can't pay him for the ride to home,the driver did not accept or did not want accept my debit card ,I had a money on the card ,just can't take any cash from atm,and after he called to police I refused to pay ...) that's why I scared to apply for citizenship for the next couple of years
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You had two convictions or just two arrests and no convictions? If you have convictions for either or both, what was the sentence for each?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No convictions ,two arrests only,disorderly conduct was dismissed and service thief was dropped to illigal littering
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Then you should apply for U.S. Citizenship as soon as possible. You will have to provide certified copies of each police report and each court disposition. I would also submit good moral character letters from friends, family, co-workers, bosses, neighbors, etc. where each writes their own letter stating who they are, how long they have known you, how they know you, and that you have good moral character and to give the reasons why they believe you have good moral character. The more detail, the better. The people you ask to write the letters do not have to know about any issues in your background. I think that would give you the best chance of getting U.S. Citizenship now. Then with a U.S. Passport, you should be good to go to anywhere in Europe or you could even go to Russia and not put your status in the U.S. at risk. The process will take 5 to 7 months or so.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, please at least leave a THANK YOU for me so I can let the administrators know. Your question thread does NOT close, so you can ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Victor. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!