Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
10285032

If a uk citizen becomes a legal resident of Spain are they

Customer Question

If a uk citizen becomes a legal resident of Spain are they then able to apply for a DV lottery. Or, how about if the were naturalized in Spain. Oops - ***** ***** and I'm asking about eligibility for the DV lottery
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: By all means. I have British born (and bred) friends who have been living in Spain for 15 plus years. I understand that UK citizens may not apply for the DV lottery. But as I read the DV eligibility information I am not clear if naturalization (or residency) in a "allowed" country, would now allow them to "charge" their application to that country.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you become a Spanish citizen, then US recognizes that Spanish citizenship and you can file for the DV lottery based on you being a Spanish citizen. The key is you cannot be a British Citizen, meaning you have to renounce your British citizenship when you obtain your Spanish citizenship. If you retain your UK citizenship, then you would not qualify for the DV lottery, even if you do get Spanish citizenship.