How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5091
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just became a U.S citizen and have a daughter of 17 yr

Customer Question

I just became a U.S citizen and have a daughter of 17 yr soon turning 18. I want to apply for certificate of citizenship, but has no proof of legal or physical custody, except school papers, tax returns where she has been listed as dependent..her father and I were not married. He does have his name on birth certificate, but he left for his country (not U.S) when y daughter was 1 yr. I was still in my country of birth then. He sent me a notarized document stating he renounced to all paternal rights, but it was not a court order. He sent it through his country's embassy to my country of birth where we were still residing then. I ad no clue f his whereabouts or contacts....My daughter obtained a green card when she came with me here and was 3. I got married to a U.S citizen. Her father has never been here or wont....So I never felt the need to get legal custody or physical custody which I already had...Now will they still ask me for proof of legal custody? We were never married and he child has not seen him in 16 yrs and he lives in a different country.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost the original of the notarized document the father sent me...I only have a copy of it. Anyway it I known fact that the father has not seen the child since 1 yr and moreover we came here when she was 3..the father has never been to the U.S
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. Well, the good news is that she is already a US citizen by automatic law since you became a US citizen while she was under 18 if you do have legal custody. If you have at least a copy of the document that he sent you then that should be sufficient as "legal custody" to get proof of her citizenship.

In addition, so you know, she has another option besides applying for the citizenship certificate which takes months and is more expensive. She can also just apply directly for a passport.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I send the copy with the application, will UCIS ask me for the original after? Also if I apply for her passport, will they require father's signature? She also want to change her name...Should I apply for passport or file for citizenship certificate before she turns 18 or it can be done after too, since I became citizen before she turns 18?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you please let me know soon, since she is turning 18 in 10 days
An once she obtains a passport , can I still apply for the certificate after she turns 18?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

They may ask. I cannot guess what every officer will do but I have done many N-600s with only copies of documents and USCIS has never asked me for originals of the parental agreement. Make sure you send a translation if it is not in English.

For passport you only need both signature for children under 16.

You do not have to apply before she turns 18. You only had to become a citizen before she turned 18. She is already automatically a US citizen right now, you just need proof of it.

Yes, if you apply for passport you can still apply for certificate after she turns 18. She can apply for the certificate at any time if she wants it since she is already a citizen.

I hope this clarifies it for you and hope you can now issue a positive rating. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When she turns 18, do I still need to apply for the citizenship certificate for her or she can do it herself? Is there a waiver of fee for low income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please reply? Thanks
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Sure, I am happy to reply but I do ask for your patience. We are assisting various clients on the website so sometimes we can't answer right away. I have answered all of your questions and am continuing to do so in good faith even though you have not yet left a rating.

Yes, She can do the citizenship certificate herself once she turns 18. Yes, there is a fee waiver option. You can read instructions here

Hopefully I have cleared your doubts and I have given you satisfactory service. Good luck!

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I am just checking in to make sure you were able to read the last answer I sent you and if you would like to ask any other follow up questions.

Again, I'm so sorry for the delay last time but hopefully I gave you great service overall and clarified your doubts about your case. If so, I do hope you can issue a positive rating using the stars or happy faces. That is the only way that I will receive credit for my service.

Thank you dearly for your consideration.