How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 118762
Experience:  Immigration Law Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is consequences of over staying in Malaysia, No, I'm us

Customer Question

HelloWhat is consequences of over staying in Malaysia
JA: The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Immigration Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I'm us citizen in Malaysia with my wife and I'm waiting on her case to transfer here to try to get her us green card so she can return to U.S.A with me. I went to us embassy in Kuala Lumpur and got my daughter her U.S passport. But U.S. embassy took my passport because they say I owe child support in U.S.A and they won't return it until I'm ready to go back to U.S.A. but I can't leave because my wifes case is in process of being transferred to Malaysia. I already had recieved an visa extension and it is about to expire. I was going to go to Indonesia for 4 days and then return Malaysia to renew visa so I can stay longer but U.S. embassy has my passport. And cannot leave my wife and daughter by themselves
JA: OK. The Immigration Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Immigration Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so but if you have questions please ask
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Immigration Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Immigration Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Overstaying in Malaysia is a serious offense (depending on how long you overstay) and it can result not only in a fine of RM10,000 and up to 5 years in prison, it can also result in you being placed on the blacklist, meaning you could no longer return to Malaysia.
You need to get out of Malaysia on time, because they are very strict with their overstay rules and once on the blacklist, you are not going to get removed and can be refused reentry for 2 times the number of days you overstayed.
You need to contact the US Embassy, you need to get back to the US or you can face some serious penalties if overstaying in Malaysia.
If you owe child support in the US, the US Embassy will not release your passport I am sorry to say and you have a more complex issue than you may believe, because you will not get your passport back until you return to the US to face your child support arrears and will not get your passport back until you do so. If you overstay in Malaysia you risk being not just fined, but imprisoned.