How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4754
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Question is: I was talking to a friend, I have been

Customer Question

My Name Is***** Question is: I was talking to a friend, I have been writing to a very nice Chinese lady Medical Doctor for a while now and this may lead to marriage. My friend then told me that he has two male friends, that one friend has a wife in the Philippines and the other friend has a wife in Thailand and they have tried and tried to bring their wives into the US and the US Emigration Service will not allow then to enter the US because of the Patriot Act. Is this true that American men are not allowed to bring their legal foreign wives back to the US because of the Patriot Act? Or does this just apply to certain country's. The lady I would like to marry and bring to the US is named Xinyi and is Medical Doctor, Can I do this without any problems other than making her an American citizen and getting her educated, trained, tested and certified as an working Medical Doctor here in the US? If I can bring Xinyi Elaine her, I will need expert step by step expert advice as per what to do and how to do it in the future. Can I receive this information and service from your law firm? And if a problem arises and we need to file a law suite , can you or your law firm do so? I will need to really depend upon your talent and expertise in this field Immigration Law in which I have none, but I will be double checking to be validating everything to bring my self up to speed as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Norman: my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I am not sure what happened in the cases of those male friends but that is not the case. There is no ban on bringing a foreign spouse from either Thailand or the Philippines right now if you are a US citizen and have no criminal convictions for crimes against minors. There is also no ban for spouses in China.

You can petition for her to come to reside with you in the US. You will have to prove that it is a bonafide/real relationship in whichever route you choose to bring her here. There are two main options and you can decide which is better for your situation: either submit a fiance visa , if you rather bring her to the US and get married in the US, or an immigrant visa called CR-1 visa if you will marry before and then bring her to the US. They each have some pros and cons - for example the fiance visa usually takes a little less time but it costs more. In both cases, you will have to see each other in person at least once. For the fiance visa you need to prove that you have seen each other in person at least once in the last two years. You don't need to prove that per se for the CR-1 immigrant visa but since you must be married in order for her to apply for that, either way you must see each other.

I can help you with either process once you decide what you would like to do. For now, I can send you an offer for a phone consultation for an additional legal fee whenever you'd like in order to talk about all this I have mentioned in more detail and discuss the process that will follow as well. I can answer any questions or doubts that you have. You don't have to decide if you would like that now but just letting you know it's available and whenever you'd like, just ask me to send it.

For now, I hope this answer has helped you better understand and clear some doubts.

If I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you already paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I am just checking in to make sure you were able to read the last answer I sent you and if you would like to ask any other follow up questions.

Hopefully I earned your positive rating and you will be able to rate my answer with the happy faces or stars. You can still ask me follow up questions even after you rate me. Thanks in advance.

Related Immigration Law Questions