Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Years I had the American card. I lived in USA years and

Customer Question
For 26 years I had...
For 26 years I had the American green card. I lived in USA for 15 years and divorced from my first wife on 1992, then I came back to live in Venezuela. Since then I visited my children in USA every six months, until May 2.013, when at Miami airport inmigration officers said that I cant use the geeer card as a visa an forced me to sign a paper to give up the residence in order to let me enter the USA, also they say that I might get a tourist visa when I get back to Venezuela, so believed it was reasonable and I signed the paper . When I tryed to get the tourist visa at the American embassy in Caracas, the embassy officers denied the visa without any explanation. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/10/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

The most likely reason they denied the visa is because you could not prove that you had non-immigrant intent, which is required for issuance of the visitor visa.

Are you trying to come back with a visitor visa? Or are you trying to come back permanently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All i want is to have de opportunity to get turist visa and go to USA once a year at least for two o three weeks, and visit my children and grandchildren which i did for the last 24 years, at the moment that i went to get the visa at the embasy , the officer ask me for some people that y knew when i was in college in 1979 -82 in Austin TX that smoke pot and i told him that i knew a lot of people that was not my business if they smoke pot or not also i told him that Bill Clinton did it , he got mad at me and didnt give me the visa ,

OK, well the first problem is, you should not have challenged the visa officer. They can deny you a visa just because they feel like it. That is their job. It is your job to prove that you deserve it, not their job to prove that you do not. So when you tell them "Bill Clinton did it," like it should not be a big deal, they will get upset and deny you.

When you received the denial, did you get a piece of paper for that?

Ely, Counselor at Law