How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have practiced law for more than 3 decades.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am here now in USA i been to the Philippines. I was there

Customer Question

I am here now in USA i been to the Philippines. I was there for a year and I love it over there I am. On disability . this is a free country here why can't I have the right to spend the rest of my life in the Philippines.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Why do you think that you don't have the legal right to move to the Philippines?

2. You are on disability? What disability? Private, State, SSI, SSDI or some other form of disability?

3. Are you a US citizen?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Do you still need help? If I am to assist you I need you to please provide the additionally information I asked for. It is necessary for me to give you a reliable answer.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on sis I hate the way I feel here in USA . when I was in the Philippines. My body my mind was better only the mess where not good . That's the only thing that made me come back here .do I have the right to live in the Philippines. For the rest of my life. I like to get my new wife there too.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

What is SIS? Do you mean SSI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry ssi. Full disability
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Michael,

Thank you for your clarification.

Are you aware that SSI is not anything that you have paid for and earned---such as social security disability (SSDI) or a social security retirement benefit, but instead welfare?

No one is entitled to receive US welfare if they live outside of the US. That is the reason that you cannot keep your SSI and still move to the Philippines.

Of course you are entitled to relocate to the Philippines if you want to. But you cannot expect to relocate to a different country and collect US welfare benefits. Welfare is only for legal residents of the US who actually reside in the US. If you were collection SSDI or a social security retirement benefit---because you actually pay taxes and earn those benefits, you would be free to relocate to the Philippines and you could still collect the benefits that you had earned.

I am sorry, but what you are expecting is unrealistic. Under US law, if you are not going to live in the US, then you are not eligible to collect US based welfare payments.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Do you have any follow up questions?

Related Immigration Law Questions