How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5221
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were a gay couple, I've been married to my partner over a

Customer Question

Hi there we were a gay couple, I've been married to my partner over a year since March 2014 so it's gonna be 2 years now and I alredy got a 2 year conditional green-card but our relationship didnt worker out anymore and he said he wants to get divorced so I'm not longer living with him since december 2015 and I'm concerned about my greencard if I will lose it..could you help me with some advices ??? And just last night on Facebook he created a fake profile showing to all my friends and family members he posted all the wedding pics visible to anyone I felt so offended ,abused and upset about it , isn't everybody in my family or friend knows that I was married , only my close friends and family members but not everyone he put me on real situation , is that anything I can do about it ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening. The good news is that you can still get your permanent green card even if you are divorced from your husband. You would just do it without him helping you and without him signing the form I-751. ( There is an option where you select that you are divorced on the form. The form is usually submitted before you have your green card for 2 years but the earliest is 3 months before the 2 years is up. The only issue is that you should not submit the form until you are actually divorced so if you are sure that you cannot reconcile then you should just try to get a divorce as soon as possible. You can submit the form even if it is late but you try to do it as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the sooner you can submit the documents. You will also have to send documents to prove that it was a real marriage when you were together such as bank statements from the last 2 years, joint lease if you have, joint tax returns if you have, pictures together, joint insurance, joint credit card, etc. Even though you can still apply as divorced, you do have to prove it was real when you were together.

As far as the facebook issue is concerned, unfortunately he did not break any laws with posting pictures even with a fake profile and it would be hard to prove that it was him who did it. All you can do is report it to face book and ask them to take it down. You can also change your privacy setting on facebook so that no one can tag you unless you approve the tag first.

I know immigration issues sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I am just checking in to make sure you were able to read the last answer I sent you and if you would like to ask any other follow up questions.

Hopefully I earned your positive rating and you will be able to rate my answer with the happy faces or stars. You can still ask me follow up questions even after you rate me. Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there I had very busy weekend I just saw your response thanks so much and regarding the fake profile yes I can prove it was him because my niece had conversation with him and he stated his name and everything and he keeps sharing my dads pic on the fake profile I already tried to report Facebook but they didn't do anything and i changed my settings to block him at all but the problem is he keep harassing me
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok glad you received my answer and that it was helpful toward your immigration case.

Again, please remember that I only receive credit when you manually issue a rating with the stars or happy faces. You can still ask follow up questions even after you rate me.