How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5091
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I met a girl online and she lives in Ukraine.I am planning a

Customer Question

I met a girl online and she lives in Ukraine.I am planning a trip there to meet her question is is it better to wed there or here in the USA.she is planning to come here to live with me in the states.Better i mean best to get green card and all that kind of paper work. Thank You Russ
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Russ: my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Which way is better really depends on you guys and where you want to get married, how much you want to spend on the process, and how long you are willing to wait. With the fiance visa, it will take a little less time but it costs more and you two will have to marry within 90 days of her entering the US with her visa. The other option is the CR-1 immigrant visa. For that you have to be married already before you can apply for that. This one usually takes a little more time but it's less expensive and requires a few less steps.

Here are the differences between both:

A) K-1 fiance visa takes about 6 to 10 months (right now a little longer on the longer side) for the foreign spouse to enter the US after you apply. You would qualify because you are supposed to have met once in the last 2 years and have proof of it and it sounds like you will have this. You will submit the I-129F to start the process and that will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee at the US embassy. Again, It will take about 6-9 months for the foreigner to get the interview over in Ukraine. After she gets approved hopefully, she will enter the U.S., then you have to marry here within 90 days of entering and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485 application after marriage which is for her actual green card. She will be called in for another interview here that you attend with your new spouse in about 5-6 months.

B) If you decide to get married first then she would qualify for the The CR-1 visa. This one takes about 9 months to 1 year before she is allowed into the US after sending the application. To begin You will submit an I-130 for her.The fees are $420 for the I-130 and $400 and $120 for the visa processing fee and for an Affidavit of Support fee. The good thing is that once she is approved and she enters the US, she will already be a permanent resident and doesn't have to apply for the I-485 or for anything else. That means you don't pay the $1070 that I mentioned in option A. She will just receive the green card in the mail a few weeks later.

I know immigration issues sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with application preparation or review, I can send you an offer for this legal service to you for a reasonable fee later on. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there:

I am just checking in to see if you were able to read the complete answer I sent you and if you had any follow up questions.

Please let me know. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating, that is the only way we experts receive credit on this site. Thanks.