How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28929
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I apply way to work/ job card of some sort, before I

Customer Question

How can I apply for a way to work/ job card of some sort, before I get my green card. I already came here to the USA on a K1 visa AND I got married here already. will apply somehow they said but won't say how, along with AOS green card. I don't want to pay $400 just for them to look at my application for a green card. I am not trying to keep going along with the bribe economy. I want to know how to apply to work while waiting for a green card when I apply via
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You don't have to pay anyone to fill out your forms for the adjustment of status.

I can give you the list of forms and what needs to accompany them.

Would you like me to do that? At the same time you file the I-485 to adjust status you will file the I-765 for no additional fee for your work permit. If you file the I-765 alone without the I-485 you have to pay hundreds of dollars for it alone.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please list of forms, what to accompany, and what to include to make sure they know there is no charge to apply for the work permit. thank you
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)

I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)

I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)

G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien)


A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here:


I-864 Affidavit of Support

Six passport size photos of alien

Copy of alien’s passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport

Copy of your birth certificate

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070

The packet get filed at the PO box on Page 6 of the instructions

You can read about the process at this site

Conditional Resident status is granted for 2 years. You and your spouse have to file a joint petition to remove this conditional status within 90 days of the 2nd anniversary date of the adjustment approval.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You sent something that says she needs a medical exam and must show medical insurance. Why? I said she came on a K1, that required a panel doctor exam in a far away city she flew to for that. then obviously, the sealed envelope had to be opened when she got to the usa, immigration and took it and kept it, for immigatraion office at the aiport.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

I hear you and I understand. Despite common sense, the regulations do require a US panel civil surgeon to endorse the I-

If you are a K-1, K-2, K-3 or K-4 visa holder the I-693 instructions state that you are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. Regardless of if you are exempt from a medical exam, you are still required to complete certain portions of the I-693 and have a Civil Surgeon certify the form (and seal it in an evelope). Specifically, you will complete Part 1 (Information about you) of the I-693 and provide both the form and your DS-3025 (if you have it, proving your vaccination history) and any proof of required vaccinations that were completed prior to entering the US. If you do not have a copy of your DS-3025 you will need to provide sufficient evidence of your vaccination history to the Civil Surgeon (talk to the civil surgeon's office to discuss what vaccination records they accept as proof). If you do not have proof of your vaccination history the Civil Surgeon may insist on re-administering all the required vaccinations prior to completing the I-693. Once the Civil Surgeon has has verified that all required vaccinations have been performed, they will complete form I-693 Part 2 (the vaccination section) and Part 5 (the Civil Surgeon's Certification). They will then seal the form in an envelope and return it to you.

She should have been given back a portion of the I-693 regarding vaccination- If she doesn't have that she needs to take whatever proof she has.

I have 35 years experience with these and a I-693 endorsed by a US panel doc is required as redundant is it might be.

No one ever said immigration laws are reasonable or rational or logical.