How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28816
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Judith. I have a question. I currently hold an E2 Visa,

Customer Question

Hi Judith. I have a question for you. I currently hold an E2 Visa, connected to a company I opened in the US. For various reasons, I would like to explore other job opportunities, with a company that is not associated with my company. If this company wants to hire me, what will I need to do to maintain status in the US?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, what is the processing time and costs associated with the application(s) that would need to be filed?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting me.

Unfortunately, you may have waited to long to decide you want to seek an employment opportunity.

The visa which is used for temporary workers is the H1B.

You need to hold a bachelor degree to qualify and if you obtained a degree abroad you need to have a credential evaluator review your transcripts and assert your degree is the equivalent to a US Bachelor degree.

This takes time.

Second, The H1B is in short supply and therefore to begin work on 10/01/16 the employer petition has to be filed 4/1/16. That is in approx 3 weeks. An employer does not have time to do the pre-filing prep work which takes about 6-8 weeks to seek a prevailing wage determination and Labor Attestation from the Dept of Labor which has to accompany the H1B petition to USCIS.

Unless you are a person of extraordinary ability and would qualify for an O-1 visa that would be your only option.

You have to be one of a small percentage who has risen to the top of your field

An O-1 petition will run between $2500-5000 in legal fees and filing fee of $325.

It would take approximately 3-5 months for the O-1 visa petition to be adjudicated.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


So, as of now

Related Immigration Law Questions