How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16624
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 17, a US citizen, and in school. Her

Customer Question

My daughter is 17, a US citizen, and in school. Her boyfriend is 20, an Australian citizen, and lives in Australia. They want to get married. I have reviewed the K1 visa requirements and they meet all of them but I have questions regarding the affidavit of support and other requirements since she is a minor and will be attending college after high school graduation. She will be 18 when they marry but they want to submit for a K1 visa now. They will be living with in our home with us. Her mother and I are both supportive of them. Can we do the affidavit of support for them, and can she submit the application as a minor if we include a permission letter in the package?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

Generally, a requirement for a K1 visa to be approved, is for the petitioner and foreign fiancee to be able to legally married in the US within 90 days from the entry of the foreign fiancee into the US.

In Nevada a minor child who is over 16 can legally get married with parental consent, so as long as, both parents also include notarized letter stating that the parents will consent to the marriage of their 17 year old daughter and also if the parents of the 17 year old submit an Affidavit of Support for the foreign fiancee, generally such K1 application would meet the requirements as far as the minor child issue goes.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.