Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have arrested with DUI twice. My last DUI is 2011. Now I…

Customer Question
Hello I have arrested with...
Hello I have arrested with DUI twice. My last DUI is 2011. Now I would like to go back to my home country and giving up green card. However if I have occasion to come back to U.S. with short trip in the future, Can I use ESTA program? Is the 2 DUI conviction would be serious crime?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/3/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am afraid that the Visa Waiver Permit is "sensitive" to any criminal record. DUI would be considered serious enough to normally fail the ESTA online test (the program itself is called Visa Waiver Permit, ESTA is the online test for it for applicants). If the ESTA test fails, one would have to use a B2 visa, and depending on the circumstances of the convictions, perhaps a waiver, to visit USA for 10 years after the conviction.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!