How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1527
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did my interview passed test but owed taxes, the officer

Customer Question

Good morning ,
I did my interview for naturalization passed test but owed taxes , the officer gave me the n-14 form now im confused cause i dnt knw what to do i need your help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was ask to submit proof from ( irs ) in which 2014 tax file wasnt submit to the irs by agent which i didnt knw until i went for my interview and thy ask fr proof... didnt get a letter from irs eighter in which i cnt get a transcript from irs i really need professional help :-(
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Under the law one of the requirements for U.S. citizenship is that you show "good moral character." To the USCIS this means that you have behaved well, including paying your taxes. The N-400 specifically asks about whether you have paid the taxes that you owe.
Since you did not file, it doesn't mean that you are forever barred from U.S. citizenship. What you must do is file the tax return for 2014 and including a payment for the basic amount and any applicable penalties, or if you can't afford the back taxes you should enter into an installment agreement with the IRS.
In order to get approved for naturalization you need to show that you filed and you have entered into a payment plan.
It would be in your best interest to hire an immigration attorney, who would draft a legal persuasive letter to submit with your IRS documentation explaining why your failure to pay taxes does not indicate a lack of good moral character. In cases like this it also helps to submit and present other evidence of your good moral character, for like letters and documents showing your community involvement, dedication to family, participation in religious worship activities, and so forth.
I hope this helps with your question.