Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Im a British subject, permanent Canadian resident. my

Customer Question
Im a British subject, permanent...
Im a British subject, permanent Canadian resident . my passport has expired Feb 10/16.
I have a British Travel document dated for travel March 7th. I need to know what travel documents are required to:
1 - cross the border at Buffalo in a car
2- take a flight to the US from Pearson
I have an esta but although there isnt an expiry date on it I've had it for a long time - issued in 2013.
I've looked at many websites and there is conflicting information on my travel requirements to get into the US.
Can you help me please? I'm running out of time.
I've been given incorrect information in the recent passed. Very frustrating. \Afraid my trip to Hawaii is in danger.
Many thanks,
Darby
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/1/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 2 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I don't think the ESTA is the problem. It's your passport. How quickly can you get it renewed?

Cant renew my British passport in less than 6 weeks. I'm picking up a UK travel document tomorrow.
What do I need to get across the border at Buffalo?
What do I need to get on a plane to Maui from Pearson?
What number do I dial for you?
Many thanks,
Sadie Darby

Sorry about the delay. Unfortunately, I do not have good news for you. Take a look at this OFFICIAL link:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192/~/canadian--citizens%2Fresidents%2Flanded-immigrants-entering-the-u.s.

Basically, as a Canadian PR, you are required to have a valid passport with at least 6 months stay. This is required for BOTH air and land and sea travel. The only difference between air and land and sea travel is that for air travel, you have to have the pre-approved ESTA, for land and sea travel you do not.

I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you, but you will need to renew your UK passport. I would look into Premium or Fast Track service. Here is a link:

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-day-or-1-week-service

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.