Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My card expired 3 years ago waiting answer on my

Customer Question
My green card expired...

My green card expired 3 years ago waiting for an answer on my citizenship, which i still have not gotten - what can i do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I applied for my citizenship 5 years ago and they said they had to look into it and will get back to me. I passed the interview but they needed to check my dates of coming in and out. I left the country waiting on them and still waiting and now my green card has expired. Is there anything that can be done or is this over? I left the country because I got married and my husband leaves out of the country.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/27/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did you apply for a re-entry permit to be out of the US for more than one year?

Judith

No, I did not. What is that?

A re-entry permit allows you to remain outside the US for up to two years without abandoning your permanent resident status. These re-entry permits can be renewed once for 2 years and after that for one additional year.

The law automatically revokes your status if you are not physically present in the US for more than one year.

Since you never stayed to follow-up on your naturalization application 5 years ago, you left the US as a permanent resident. You would not become a citizen until you were sworn in at an oath ceremony.

Unfortunately since you did not protect your permanent resident status while the naturalization petition was pending you abandoned your US permanent resident status by departing and remaining outside the US for the past 3 years.

The only way to get your status back is to try to apply for a SB-1 visa which is a returning resident visa for a permanent resident who intended to return to the US and who had some intervening exceptional circumstance occur which made it impossible for them to return.

See this link which explains the requirements and procedure

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/returning-residents.html

If you are denied the returning resident visa then you would have to be sponsored all over again for permanent resident status, just as you were initially.

A permanent resident status is meant for you to reside in the US and if you do not reside here it is taken from you.

You may file this form to find out what happened to your naturalization application

using this form. There is no fee to request a copy of your naturalization file which would include what action was taken on it in your absence.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

https://www.uscis.gov/g-639

what form should I file to know the status of my naturalization application?

I'm sorry I had meant to provide you that link to the G-639

https://www.uscis.gov/g-639

Judith