How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109616
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I go about bringing my brother in law here to work

Customer Question

How do I go about bringing my brother in law here to work with our business for us on either a green card or a work visa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

It isn't very easy because the U.S. does not want him taking jobs or opportunities away from U.S. workers. What level of education does he have? What job will he be doing? What level of education does that job require?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a Thai chef. We have a family run business that makes authentic Thai food. My wife's mother taught her to cook as well as her brother. Our recipes come from that "school". We need to maintain that authenticity and just hiring someone (American) and teaching them the recipe cannot give that person what a lifetime of cooking and eating the food has given to her family.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The problem is that you have to prove that there is no one qualified to do that in the U.S. already. They won't take just your word for it. So, assuming that he does not have a bachelor's degree and the job does not require a bachelor's degree, you are looking at an H-2B visa.

For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because you, the employer, would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, you must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because you have a job for your brother-in-law. This is to prove that he would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. Here is a link:

Also, because they are used up for this year, you will need to apply on April 1, 2016 to start working on October 1, 2016 or later. Here is a link in regards ***** ***** H-2B cap

After that, a green card through work should also be possible under the EB-3 process. Here is a link:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jonathan. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jonathan. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.