Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am currently a culinary intern in the Kentucky. The

Customer Question
Hi, I am currently a...
Hi, I am currently a culinary intern in the Kentucky. The company we're working for right now wants us to come back. Is it possible that we be able to come back as soon as possible by applying for another J1-visa, this time as trainee? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
What are our other options? We talked to an agency back home and they said we can come back in a month or two in kentucky with a j1 trainee visa but we cannot work at the same hotel anymore ? Would that be true even if the host company itself wants us to come back?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/25/2016
Immigration Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

Good morning. Your current J-1 visa is ONLY applicable for your current J-1 exchange program and under your current program sponsor, the hotel. If you completed your current J-1 program, under the law you are expected to depart the United States.

You can pursue a 2nd J-1 exchange program (in a different category and with a different J-1 sponsor), will need to apply for a new J-1 visa for your new exchange program and new J-1 sponsor – in order to reenter the U.S. for the 2nd program.

KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer