How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109686
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding the

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding the expiration of my green card.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my greencard expired back in 2009 and I have just been busy with lif and havent taken the time to renew it, I know its not an excuse but I dont travel outside of the US. My question is can I get penalized for not renewing it or deported even?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Immigration Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Was it a 10 year green card or a 2 year green card?

Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration attorney. The law requires each lawful permanent resident to be in possession of a valid unexpired card.

The law provides that e very resident alien must be in possession of the I-551 - on their person current and unexpired.That's the law.

There are fines and penalties up to $500.

You need to file for I-90 either in paper forn or electronically online.

Go to this link. It is a one page for and bone simple.

Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am not sure why my colleague decided to get involved when I was already involved, but let me clarify some things for you. If it was a 2 year conditional green card that expired and you did not remove the conditions, then you are subject to deportation from the U.S. You would have to file an I-751 late, most likely in waiver form and explain why you filed late.

However, if you had a 10 year green card that expired, you are still a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident even with an expired card. You are still in that status until an immigration judge determines that you are not. Obviously, with an expired card it makes it difficult to travel, work, and renew IDs such as drivers license, etc. So it is recommended that you file an I-90, but you aren't going to get deported if you do not file it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you again to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!