How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4706
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im intending to Serve in the U.S Army but right now I'm a

Customer Question

Im intending to Serve in the U.S Army but right now I'm a F-1 Visa student at USU. and just last week my I-20 has been terminated because i could register for classes in time. I can't be out of the states for more than 90 days or I won't be able to Join the US Army. what should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

You have two choices in your case. You can get a new I-20 and depart the US and come back into the US. Or you can apply for reinstatement to get you back into legal status. In order to apply for reinstatement, you would have to prepare a request for reinstatement explaining what happened and why you fell out of status and why the circumstances were beyond your control in your situation. You will also need a new original, I-20 created for you by the ISSO for the purposes of reinstatement. You have to sign and date it. Together with that you send form I-539 and in Part 2, question 1 select "C" and write the words "Reinstatement to F-1 status"and on the top of the form's first page you should also write the words "REINSTATEMENT" at the top of the I-539 so USCIS will know what it is right away. Don't forget to include a copy of your passport, F-1 visa, I-94, copies of all old I-20, your transcripts and proof of financial support for your tuition and expenses for 1 year. The fee is $290.

Find the form and instructions on

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.. I am just checking in to see if you were able to read my answer to you and if you had any follow up questions I can help with. Hopefully I have earned your positive rating and you can come back to issue the rating. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions