Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Would be a problem to show to my citizenchip interivew with…

Customer Question
would be a problem for...
would be a problem for me to show to my citizenchip interivew with my green card expired
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
2/22/2016
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In a word, yes, this may be an issue.

While your status is not expired, your greencard document is. You can renew the greencard document. You are still a Lawful Permanent Resident even if your greencard document is expired. The problem is that to file for citizenship, you need an un-expired, current greencard document. So one renews the greencard, and then files for citizenship.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

but i have my apointment on march 16 and my greed card just expired this moths there any way easy for me to not have problem or get a esy solution

The best option here is to reschedule the appointment if possible. You will have to call and try, or visit and talk with an agent via Infopass. Renewal of greencard takes about 6 months. If the appointment can be rescheduled that far ahead, it may work.

If not, then someone in your situation would have to cancel the N-400, then get the greencard renewed, and then re-file the N-400 anew.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law